Side hustles are very popular right now. For those who don’t know what a side hustle is, it’s something people do in their spare time to earn extra money.
From driving for Uber or working a second job to starting a blog or YouTube channel, it seems like everyone these days makes money from their main job.
Not all side hustle is created equal; some are worth your time and some are not. Side hustle comes in two different forms: online and in real life.
In general, side jobs that get you out of the house tend to pay a bit better, while online gigs are more affordable.
This article will cover how to make money online (for those who don’t want to leave home), and the side hustle that requires you to put your shoes on will be covered in a future article.
Can you really make money online?
Who has not seen the ads? “Work from home and earn [a large sum of money] every month!” As a teenager, I probably clicked on all of these ads.
I wanted nothing more than to stay home all day and let easy internet money roll in and pay the bills.
The more clicks on the ads, the more my frustration increased and my dream of living on the Internet died quickly.
You probably can’t get rich working online, but you can earn some money. I like to put online jobs into two categories: side jobs that anyone can do and side jobs that require special talent or skill.
How can anyone make money online?
There are some online tasks that almost anyone with a pulse can do to earn money. As expected, they do not pay much. But if you’re really bored and looking for something to pass the time and earn a few extra bucks, it might be worth it.
Without further ado, here is my incomplete and inconclusive list of the different ways anyone can make money online:
- Amazon MTurk allows you to complete different tasks for money. These tasks are called HITs or human intelligence tasks. Tasks range from research to studies to data transcription. It will take some time to get familiar with the system, but after that, you can earn decent money. Some assignments paid me upwards of $10 an hour, but I should probably expect to consistently earn $5 to $6 an hour or less.
- Online surveys can be an interesting way to earn money. It’s almost never worth the time it takes to fill out a survey, but there are several different survey sites that have good reputations. Prolific, pineapple research Y Google Opinion Rewards They are the only ones I can recommend. You won’t get rich, but if you have some downtime, it may be worth taking a survey. I even received a free box of tissues for completing a survey once (the fabrics were soft but very thin).
- Selling your stuff eliminates clutter and puts a little more money in your pocket. The most popular sales sites are eBay Y craigslist, but there are many different specialized apps and sites to sell specific items, such as electronics or women’s clothing. You can even ask the person at the post office to pick up your stuff so you don’t have to leave the house.
These are the only reliable ways to make money online that don’t require any skills that I know of. Fortunately, if you have any skills or abilities, there are many more options available.
Online side activities that require talent or skill
If you have a unique skill or ability, you can monetize it and earn money online. Many businesses turn to the Internet to find qualified freelancers for ongoing and one-time jobs.
Content creators are also going online more and more often. (I mean, what are they going to do, get a job at a newspaper?)
I monetized my writing in one of the ways listed below and I have to say there is nothing better than getting paid for something you enjoy doing.
Some of the items on my list below are specific to writers and content creators, but most of you with unique skills should be able to find the side hustle for you.
- work connects with companies and entrepreneurs looking for freelancers. The environment can be competitive for well-paying jobs, and it can be difficult to land your first job. After establishing the Upwork platform and maintaining some ongoing relationships, things get easier. I haven’t spent a lot of time on Upwork, but a few rules of thumb: 1.) Never apply to programs that require a lot of work just to apply. I will send my resume and the standard essay sample that I send to everyone and if they want more than that I will stop looking for the job. two.) Define the relationship in advance. How much will you be paid and will it be per hour or per job? Is it an ongoing relationship or a one-time job?
- Medium is a platform where writers can post their content and potentially earn money. Medium is ideal for writers looking to build an audience and reach more readers. They pay through their affiliate program, so popular stories and articles have a chance to make decent money.
- Blogging can be very profitable for some people. The best bloggers do millions of dollars a year, but most bloggers do less than $3.50 per day. To be a successful blogger, you need to create quality content, post regularly, and grow your audience. It takes a lot of work to have a blog and success is not guaranteed, even if you are an amazing writer. (How to start a successful blog)
- YouTube may be the most popular gathering place for content creators. there are around 3 million YouTube channels with more than 1,000 subscribers and more than 23 million channels in total. The most popular YouTubers monetize their content and earn millions of dollars a year from YouTube and sponsorships. Not everyone has what it takes to be a successful YouTuber, and creating quality content that keeps people coming back and builds an audience takes time.
- Online teaching feels more like a real job than a side job. Hours can be flexible and you don’t have to work when you don’t want to. There are general education requirements that you must meet to be an online teacher, but the pay is very good. Some popular sites, like vip, you can pay the equivalent of about $20 an hour. If you have an educational background and are looking for a flexible job and work from home, online education is a great option.
- Etsy allows you to use your creativity and sell handmade items (or other things) online. Etsy is a great place for creatives like photographers and designers to sell their work. If people really like your work, Etsy can become a full-time business.
There are probably many other ways you can use your skills and abilities to make money online that I am not familiar with.
Selling your specialty work online can be very profitable, but it can take years to create a reliable income stream from the Internet.
Make sure you keep your expectations low and don’t expect to make a lot of money when you start.
Know what your time is worth
Regardless of the type of work or labor you’re doing online, make sure you’re not underestimating yourself. It’s probably not worth taking irrational surveys for hours and finishing for a few extra bucks.
Earning money online may not be for you; It can be a lot of work and the performance may not be great. Your time is the most valuable resource you have, so don’t give it away for pennies on the dollar.